The first and larger of the two VOH villages, Bweyale Village is located near the Nile River and Murchison Falls National Park, approximately 5 hour’s drive north from the capital city of Kampala. Secondary School (high school) and Vocational Education students reside in family-style homes with names such as Love, Faith and Courage – reinforcing each child’s identity in Christ. The Village is located on 180 acres and includes a secondary school (high school), vocational training center, library/computer center, medical clinic, worship center, and agriculture projects geared toward training and self-sustainability. All staff are Ugandan and most grew up in the region. The entire Village is solar-powered.
Comprehensive Secondary School
VOH Secondary School (high school) offers both a lower secondary academic education (S1-S4) and vocational training. Upon graduation, VOH youth receive academic diplomas along with vocational certificates.
VOH Vocational School offers training in construction, auto mechanics, tailoring and hair dressing. Our offering will expand to include a formal agriculture program in 2022.
More than 50 acres in Bweyale Village are cultivated to meet a portion of the food and firewood demands in the Village, to offer agriculture training for our students and to create a revenue stream for operations. A corn mill operates to fulfill Village needs as well as to offer honest-value milling services to local farmers for a fee. Additionally, a commercial piggery, an apiary and a goat project operate onsite. A student-poultry project will launch when schools fully reopen after the pandemic restrictions are lifted.
- Youth become established in their faith in Jesus and are beacons of light in their homes, communities and country.
- Youth continue to heal from their past traumas and live in their new identity in Christ.
- Nurture each student’s God-given talents and abilities to follow an education/career path that will give them the best opportunity to thrive within their communities.
- Youth graduate with the knowledge and skills to sustain themselves and their siblings.
- Youth become mentors and role models for their siblings and other VOH orphans.
- Child Sponsors play an important role in the life-transforming work of VOH. In addition to financial support, sponsors have an opportunity to build a relationship with their sponsored child through shared letters and photos.
- Operating Funds for food, medicine, school supplies & equipment and salaries (teachers, counselors, house moms & assistants)
- Pickup Truck – with our location in a remote, rural area a working pickup truck is important to our work. We are spending significant time and money on repair work to keep our current pickup running.
- Poultry Project
- School Administration Building – this is a requirement of the government
- Expansion of the science lab